Do you believe in wonder? If no, come & explore this divine temple to fulfill your wishes!
An Insight into Religious Temple!!
Located at an elevation of 1,200ft, Chimi Lhakhang Temple is the most well-known temple of Bhutan. Famously known as the ‘Fertility Temple’, it stands tall on a round hillock in a village called Punakha. The monastery is exquisitely decorated with ancient Thai themed architecture with colourful paintings on all walls.
Fertility Temple- Why this name?
The monastery is renowned throughout Bhutan as a fertility inducer, pledging that all who wish to conceive will find guidance here. Thousands pilgrimage comes here with the hopes of having a child, as well as receiving a blessing, from the saint with the ‘magic thunderbolt of wisdom.’
Quite amazing, right? Yes, it is! Avail the most affordable Bhutan tour packages for your memorable trip.
Access to Chimi Lhakhang!!
Nearest Airport- Paro International Airport and from there you will get hired taxis to reach Chimi Lhakhang via Punakha.
Distance from Paro to Chimi Lhakhang- 106 km
Nearest Railheads- New Jalpaiguri Railway Station (NJP) and then avail
NJP car rental services to reach this temple via Phuentsholing.
A Trip to Its Glorious Past!!
How about some unusual tales from Bhutan. Discover Chimi Lhakhang – the Fertility Temple in Bhutan https://t.co/xkdMoGK6RF#ThrillingTravel#Travel #Bhutan#tbin#travelguide#travelblog pic.twitter.com/3J2YjZormy
— Ami Bhat (@amibhat) July 27, 2018
- Chimi Lhakhang was built in 1499 by Ngawang Chogyal.
- The history of Chimi Lhakhang takes you back to the times when Drukpa Kunley, the founder of Buddhism visited this place.
- Drukpa Kunley got landed in Punakha to drive away the demon from Dochula.
- Moreover, The Madman created a thunderbolt of wisdom and defeated the demon that was in the form of a dog.
- However, when he went to capture the dead demon and took it to the stupa he uttered ‘Chi Mi’ which means ‘No Dog’.
- As a result of which the symbol of Phallus is said to bring luck and prosperity and keeps away the evil power.
- And every wall of the building is painted with this symbol.
Interesting no? Witness the beauty of this temple will give you more!
Get Indulged In The Beauty Of Chimi Lhakhang!!
There are several iconic features which will blow your mind, such as-
- The big prayer wheels
- White-Washed walls with a golden roof
- The famous statue of Guru Padmasambhava
More to Know…
Opening Hours- 9 am to 5 pm
Entry Fee- Free
Best time to visit- November to February
View this post on Instagram
Prayer wheel spinning in the Chimi Lhakhang-The Fertility Temple in Bhutan. . . #bhutan #punakha #travel #travelgram #buddhist #temple #hike #trek #hiking #prayerflags #buddhism #bell #prayer #meditation #prayerwheel #bhutandiaries #bhutantravel #solotravel #chorten #photooftheday #architecture #instagood #travelasia #asia #asiatourism #travelingram #bhutan_ig
Important Tips for Future Visitors!!
- Cameras are not allowed inside the temple.
- No one should make fun of the art and architecture of the temple
- The temple properties must not be harmed.
- No short clothes are allowed inside the temple.
- The hike to Chimi Lhakhang is enjoyable
- You must be sure to pick the Bhutanese Thangka Artworks
- Experience the hospitality of the locals.
One must definitely visit this unusual place for a unique experience filled with adventure! Plan a trip with the best travel agency in Siliguri for Bhutan tour and get amazed by the serenity of Chimi Lhakhang Temple!