NEPAL – WHERE THE TALLEST PEAKS RESIDE
Nepal is a magnet for adventure enthusiasts because it is home to eight of the ten tallest peaks in the world. Mount Everest, Mount Kanchenjunga, Mount Lhotse, Mount Makalu, Mount Cho Oyu, Mount Dhaulagiri, Mount Manaslu & Mount Annapurna are the eight tallest peaks that beckon every adventure seeker and admirer to come scale their thrilling heights or just bask in their presence from the comfort of their resorts. This tiny country is extremely big in terms of natural beauty, with reserves of rolling mountain ranges, descending hills, and rich emerald plains. Even beginners pour in to embark on picturesque expeditions that explore the breathtaking mountain covered landscapes of Nepal.
A COUNTRY OF IMMENSE RELIGIOUS SIGNIFICANCE
Nepal is steeped in rich historical significance. It is the birthplace of Prince Siddhartha. He was the son of the King of Lumbini, a historic kingdom situated in the south-western district of Kapilavastu in Nepal. Prince Siddhartha, later on, grew up to attain enlightenment & become Gautama Buddha. You will spot the famous Mayadevi Temple dedicated to his mother and the holy Puskarini – the pond where infant Siddhartha had his first bath. Another crucial location is the city of Janakpur, which is considered to the home of "Janaki" i.e. Sita, Lord Ram’s wife. Janakpur, previously known as Mithila, is home to the Maithili culture which is unique on its own in terms of language and traditions.
THE NEPALI CUISINE
The Nepali cuisine traditionally consists of a simple Thaali consisting of steamed rice, lentil soup and a serving of vegetable curry. Meat is reserved for special occasions. A meal is served with side helpings of spicy pickles, or salsa made out of wild tomatoes, coriander and chilies crushed manually with the help a mortar or a stone. There is a liberal use of mustard, ghee, cumin, turmeric, chilies and more during daily cooking. They also dry and ferment mustard leaves to extract a mildly sour and pungent flavor from the leaves that lend excellent flavor to tomato garlic soups. You will also run into many fast food chains in Nepal for you if you aren’t willing to experiment.
YOUR NEPAL BUCKET LIST
- Kathmandu – Explore the old palaces of the Newar kings and the UNESCO Heritage Site Kathmandu Durbar Square, Freak Street, and the bustling Durbar Marg.
- Kosi Tuppa – Situated near Biratnagar, this vast stretch of marshy wetland is an excellent stop to watch the exotic migratory birds stop by. It's an ultimate haven for birdwatchers.
- Pokhara – It is essentially the city of lakes, Pokhara is the base point for the Annapurna Base Camp. Apart from mountaineering, you can also opt for activities like kayaking & rafting.
- Royal Chitwan National Park – It is home to the Royal Bengal Tiger, One Horned Rhinoceros, Neel Gai, kingfishers, peacocks, flycatchers, toucans and many more exotic members of the wildlife.
- Pashupatinath – One of the largest Shiva temples, it attracts thousands of pilgrims every month. Beside the temple is the holy Bagmati river, that is said to release you from the endless cycle of birth.
- Nagarkot – Situated 32 kilometers away from the capital of Kathmandu, it is the best region to avail 360-degree views of towering peaks like the Dhaulagiri, Sagarmatha, Manaslu & Ganesh Himal.
DO YOU KNOW?
Nepal is home to Kumari, who is a living deity worshipped by the locals of Nepal. She is elected by the locals and is believed to be the living reincarnation of Goddess Durga. She is taken out on a chariot once a year, as thousands flock by to touch her once, seek blessing and pray to her. Other days, she resides in the Kumari House, a resident decorated with beautifully carved wood. Enthusiasts stand by the window to catch a glimpse as she appears in the balcony in scheduled timings. Once she hits puberty, she retires and a new Kumari replaces her.
NEAREST CHECK-IN POINTS
- Nearest Road Routes – Siliguri-Kakarbhitta Crossing, Bahraich-Nepalgunj Crossing, Banbassa-Mahendranagar Crossing, Raxaul-Birgunj Crossing.
- Nearest Airport – Tribhuvan International Airport