DARJEELING - A PREMIUM HILL STATION IN BENGAL
Darjeeling is an evergreen hill station in the state of West Bengal. Famous all over India, the district of Darjeeling is home to the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. Fondly nicknamed as the Toy Train, it was declared to be a World Heritage member by UNESCO. This town was discovered by two British soldiers who were marching through the woods. Now it is a part of a much larger district of the same name, which is sprawled across an area of 3,149 square kilometers.
ENJOY THE BRITISH VIBE
The town of Darjeeling is a haven for mountain lovers because the entire location commands crisp views of the grand Kanchenjunga mastiff. Tourists enjoy staying here, as they hop through numerous sightseeing points that dot this quaint destination. You will run into several colonial themed hotels in Darjeeling, which sustain the pre-independence British vibe in their ambiance as they serve you your evening tea with scones and jam.
CULTURAL & CULINARY DELIGHTS
But the true essence of Darjeeling, however, lies in Chowrasta as you secure a seat by the avenue and munch on some steamy buttered corn, watching the locals ferry young kids in ponies. This no-vehicle zone is the center for Darjeeling’s most popular cultural meets, especially during New Year. Tourists enjoy their cup of special Darjeeling Tea, watching the locals dressed in their traditional best, dancing to eclectic Nepali numbers. Don’t leave the town before you buy a steamy plate of piping hot momos, served to you with a dash of spicy hot chili tomato salsa.
YOUR DARJEELING BUCKET LIST
- A trip to the Tiger Hill starts at dawn. Stand by this sun-rise point to enjoy excellent views of Mount Kanchenjunga & Mount Everest as the sun comes up.
- The return trip covers a visit to the famous Batasia Loop where a pillar stands in honor of all the Gorkha soldiers who martyred their lives on the battlefield.
- You should also book an exclusive Joy Ride in the Toy Train as the vintage engine chuffs past lush tea gardens, through the bazaar and endearingly little settlements.
- Bhutia Busty Gompa is an exotic Buddhist monastery, wrapped in prayer flags, beauty, and mystery. Along with many other priceless relics, it houses the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
- Happy Valley Tea Estate is a must visit if you want to take a beginner’s guide towards tea manufacture. Enjoy a tour of the estate and get a sneak peek inside the grand factory.
- Fly on a ropeway from Singamari to Singla Bazaar to get a bird’s eye view of the town of Darjeeling from an elevation of 7,000 feet.
DO YOU KNOW?
Dr. Joseph Campbell planted a few Chinese tea seeds (Camellia Sinensis) in the backyard Beechwood garden near his residence in Darjeeling to run a free-time experiment. Owing to the excellent weather conditions of this hill station, the gardening project yielded great results. Ever since then, Darjeeling Tea went on to become a global cult. It earned a worldwide patronage owing to its taste, flavor & depth. Presently, Darjeeling produces approximately nine million kgs of high-quality tea annually. And it still is fondly referred as the Champagne of Teas.
NEAREST CHECK-IN POINTS
- Nearest Railway Station – NJP Railway Station
- Nearest Airport – Bagdogra Airport
- Nearest Bus/Vehicle Stand – Siliguri Junction near Pradhan Nagar